Major Gifts Officer
Who We Are:
WVIA Public Media (WVIA) is a non-profit public media network whose mission is to be a catalyst, convener and educator, using media, partnerships, powerful ideas and programs to improve lives and advance the best attributes of an enlightened society.
WVIA touches lives, influences opinion, and noticeably impacts on matters of public interest and concern, through measurably significant, differentiated local and national television and radio broadcast products and wvia.org, as well as outreach projects and educational services. Grounded in the concepts of lifelong learning, the arts, culture and quality of life, the WVIA staff relentlessly pursues excellence and relevance. WVIA will develop future programs and services in collaboration with strategically chosen organizations successfully serving Northeastern Pennsylvania and the Central Susquehanna Valley. WVIA will grow in revenue, independence, recognition and coverage, achieving significant public service by continuously improving relationships with members, underwriters, partners and our communities.
Under the supervision of the Chief Development Officer, the Major Gifts Officer (MGO) will work in an extremely fast-paced, highly complex development environment and will carry a portfolio of approximately 150 prospects. The MGO will raise funds for WVIA institutional priorities. The MGO will play a key role in ensuring proper qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of current and new donors within his or her portfolio. Primary responsibilities include developing and implementing cultivation and solicitation strategies, tracking progress, and staying abreast of existing, new and developing funding opportunities.
Responsible for maintaining a working environment that leverages the potential and diversity of the department's entire staff. Provide direction and leadership in such a way as to nurture, create and maintain an environment that is (1) free from discrimination, intolerance and harassment and (2) provides employees with equal access to opportunities for growth and advancement including professional development whenever possible.
The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for building relationships with donors and securing major gifts as well as secure annual undesignated, designated, endowment, and planned gift support for WVIA’s mission. This position will develop strategies to secure annual support at $1,000+ per individual donor. This is a position which will spend 50% or more of their time outside of the office, visiting and cultivating prospects in-person. The role will manage a portfolio of donors, is expected to travel during the day (with occasional overnight travel), and maintain a work flow of 3 - 5 out of office appointments per week. Solicitations may also include gala tables/support, other events and planned giving commitments. The position is expected to work closely with donors and prospects and will conduct outreach to qualify new prospects. The Major Gifts Officer will work with the Chief Development Officer in support of reaching annual revenue goals.
Required Education and Experience:
- A four-year college degree is required.
- 3-5 years of experience and a strong understanding of prospect management, major donor cultivation and solicitation is required.
- Proven track record in securing major and planned gifts.
- Knowledge of planned giving vehicles and ability to identify strong prospects.
- Previous experience working directly with board members, volunteers, and content experts.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Motivated, creative, and organized self-starter.
- Enthusiastic and determined fundraiser with a record of meeting / exceeding revenue targets.
- Able to develop strategic long-term donor relationships while achieving bottom-line results.
- Innovative, flexible, and able to prioritize in a rapidly evolving organization and industry.
- Familiarity of Moves Management system
- Collaborative and successful at working within a team and across an organization.
- A persuasive and strategic communicator with excellent interpersonal and written / spoken communication skills.
- Strong interest in public media and its case for support.
- Able to participate in donor events, including occasional evenings and weekend, and travel to donor meetings.
- Professional appearance and demeanor, and strong computer skills are required.
- Willingness to embrace the organization's priorities and style.
When applying for this position please submit ONE document containing: (1) a letter explaining your interest and how your skills are aligned to WVIA and this position and (2) your resume.
Please Send Resume to:
WVIA Major Gifts Officer Position - c/o Ron Prislupski 100 WVIA Way Pittston, PA 18640