Nothing is more important to WVIA than protecting the private information of visitors to our site. Below you'll find information about our commitment to ensuring the privacy of your and your children's personally identifiable information (such as your full name, address, email address, telephone number and/or other identifying information) and preserving the integrity of the medium.
Please read the following carefully. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us.
Gathering and Use of Information
WVIA will never willfully disclose any personally identifiable information about our online audience to any third party without first receiving the user's permission. We do not collect personally identifiable information from our visitors other than what is supplied to us on a voluntary basis.
Visitors to the WVIA Web Site may voluntarily supply certain personally identifiable information in connection with (i)contest or sweepstakes registration, (ii) subscription registration for sites or services which require subscription (such as email newsletters), (iii) requests for membership information and (iv) e-commerce transactions. In addition, personally identifiable information is voluntarily provided in connection with certain content submissions, community postings (i.e., forums or bulletin boards), comments and suggestions, or voting.
WVIA may use such information only for conducting the activities stated above, for internal marketing and promotional purposes, or, on occasion, when mailing lists are made available to other organizations. (The occasional provision of mailing lists to such organizations is the only case where such information would be provided to third parties). For more information regarding WVIA's policies on the handling and use of WVIA's membership list, please see WVIA's Membership List Policy. The extent of such use is always explained at the time a site visitor provides such information. If the visitor does not want this information collected and used by us for the disclosed internal purposes, the visitor is given an opportunity to "opt-out." Our visitors need to recognize, however, that under certain circumstances, if they select to "opt-out" they may not be eligible for certain activities for which the personally identifiable information is needed. (For example, if a contest participant elects to "opt-out" on permitting us to collect and use their personal information, we cannot contact them if they win without using such information.)
The support from our individual members and donors is critical to fulfilling WVIA’s mission of community service. WVIA conducts our fundraising in compliance with nationally established guidelines while ensuring that our member’s trust and faith in us is deserved.
WVIA maintains lists of names, addresses, giving history, programming interests and other pertinent data for those who have supported us financially or otherwise have indicated an interest in our organization's programming or activities.
WVIA does not sell or exchange its member or donor lists with any other organization.
On occasion, WVIA provides its list to vendors who conduct work or an activity for WVIA. WVIA requires all vendors to maintain the confidentiality of WVIA’s files and confidential information and to adhere to a policy of not exchanging, selling, or otherwise disclosing the organization's member, donor and underwriter lists.
WVIA will adhere to all federal, state and local laws.
WVIA is required to disclose the identity of all donors who provide direct funding for any program produced by WVIA.
WVIA may publish a list of members and donors (for example, as part of our Annual Report.) This listing may indicate a monetary range into which each member or donor's gift falls. If you wish to be excluded from any such listing, contact us at email@example.com.
WVIA will also comply with the Corporation for Public Broadcasting guidelines for list activities. These guidelines require WVIA to annually certify compliance with laws and regulations of the Internal Revenue Service regarding tax-exempt status, and with all federal laws and regulations governing political activity and lobbying.
WVIA will not rent or purchase any mailing list that is politically affiliated including, but not limited to, political organizations, campaigns and committees.
Each nonprofit organization holds a public trust to improve the quality of life. Likewise, philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life. To assure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the not-for-profit organizations and causes they are asked to support, WVIA accepts several guiding principles that all donors have the right to:
- Be informed of WVIA's mission, of the way WVIA intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- Be informed of the identity of those serving on WVIA’s governing board and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- Have access to WVIA's most recent financial statements.
- Be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- Receive appropriate acknowledgment and recognition.
- Be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- Be assured that privileged or confidential information about themselves and their giving will not be disclosed to unauthorized parties outside of WVIA.
- Expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- Be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- Feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
- Ensure that all solicitation materials are accurate and correctly reflect WVIA's mission and use of solicited funds.
- Receive informed, accurate and ethical advice about the value and tax implication of potential gifts.
- Give their consent before WVIA might alter the conditions of a gift.
- Know that their names will not be sold, rented, leased, traded, loaned, donated, transferred or exchanged from WVIA donor lists.
- Know with confidence that WVIA will use accurate and consistent generally accepted accounting methods that conform to the appropriate guidelines adopted by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB).
Long-term support from our individual members is critical to fulfilling WVIA’s mission of community service. Maintaining and preserving a strong, trusting relationship with our members is key to this vital source of support. WVIA maintains lists of names, addresses, giving history, programming interests and other pertinent data for those who have supported us financially or otherwise have indicated an interest in our organization's programming or activities. As policy, WVIA does not sell or exchange its list with any other organization. On occasion, WVIA provides its list to vendors who conduct work WVIA. Vendors are required to maintain the confidentiality of WVIA’s files and to adhere to a policy of not exchanging, selling, or otherwise disclosing the organization's lists. It is WVIA’s intention to retain the trust of its donors, members, viewers and listeners through this policy.
WVIA does not sell commercial time of any kind, including time to candidates for public office, and does not sell, rent, give or exchange a member or donor name to, with or from any candidate for public office, committees or organizations supporting a candidate, political parties, or organizations that solicit funds for use in political campaigns for any purpose.
WVIA reserves the right to delete comments that contain:
- offensive language
- personal attacks
- improper comments that target any ethnic, racial, or religious group
- spam or include certain links to other sites
- are clearly off topic